Aviator Eats: Fermented SalsaMay 22, 2020
Aviator Eats: Fermented Salsa
After hours we’ve been eating around the world (#TakeoutTuesday) and watching a ton YouTube so this recipe is inspired by one of our favorite cuisines (Tex-Mex) and YouTube show (Bon Appetit’s “It’s Alive with Brad Leone”). This recipe also has a nifty added bonus! Last week our recipe was pickles and this recipe will utilize some of the leftover pickle juice to ferment the salsa.
- 3-4 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2-3 Hot Peppers (jalapeños and habaneros recommended)
- 1/2 Onion, finely chopped (we recommend red onion)
- 5 Garlic Cloves
- 1/4 Cup Pickle Juice
- 1 tbsp Salt
- Hot Sauce to taste
- (Optional) Cilantro to taste
- Chop the tomatoes, peppers, onion, garlic, cilantro and place in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle salt over the vegetables and mix
- Add the pickle juice and mix.
- (Optional but recommended) Place the mixture in a blender or food processor and pulse to your liking
- Pour into 1-2 mason jars (a quart jar works well). Leave a small amount of headspace
- Store in a cool place for 3-5 days and shake the jar(s) on a daily basis.
The fermented salsa is best served chilled and should be stored in the fridge once opened. The salt and pickle juice help extend the life of the salsa.