USA looks set to defend gymnastics titleJuly 19, 2016
The 2016 U.S. Women’s Gymnastics team will attempt to defend the all around gold medal won by the “Fierce Five” in 2012. Competing in London in 2012, the team consisting of Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman, Jordyn Wieber, Mckayla Maroney, and Kyla Ross dominated the competition. Their squad went down as one of the better teams in Olympic history. While this is a tough act to live up to, the 2016 team might be about as ready to try as any other squad. They will head to Rio De Janeiro where they will compete on the world’s biggest stage. The team was announced on the night of July 10th, when trials were completed. The team will consist of:
- Aly Raisman– The 22 year old Raisman will be returning from the London team to try once again to bring home gold, defending also her Olympic gold in the floor exercise. At a very advanced age for an Olympic gymnast, Raisman has been good naturedly nicknamed Grandma by her teammates. The nickname fits though, as her presence is one of great experience and mentorship. The Massachusetts native attends Babson College when she is not competing.
- Gabby Douglas– Gabby Douglas, also on the older side of the competition at 20, will attempt to defend her all around gold medal from London. Douglas overcame an injury suffered during the 2015 World Championships to train properly for Team USA Olympic Trials. Douglas, the pride of Virginia Beach, returns to the Olympics as a fan favorite, already having marked her place in gymnastics history.
- Simone Biles– At 18 years of age, the brilliant Simone Biles is the favorite to win the women’s all around gold. The reigning champion of the all around U.S. events each season from 2013 to present, Biles has built a reputation as one of the best gymnasts in the world. Her main competition will come from her own teammates. Simone Biles was born in Columbus, Ohio, but currently resides in Spring, Texas.
- Laurie Hernandez– Laurie Hernandez, for our purposes, is the local lady of the group. Born and raised in New Jersey, Hernandez has become known for her energy and exuberance. At only 16 years of age, she has conducted herself with poise during each step of the selection process. Highly athletic and specializing in the floor routine, Hernandez is eager to help contribute to Team USA in Rio.
- Madison Kocian– Madison Kocian is an uneven bars specialist, chosen for her strong showing at trials and her solid gymnastics background. Kocian claims that she was first introduced to the sport at a very young age, because she continuously climbed out of her crib. She is the two time defending World Champion on the uneven bars, and has been on the U.S. World Championship all around teams in 2015, and 2016. The 19 year old will likely be competing in her only Olympics.
The alternates named for the team are Ashton Locklear, MyKayla Skinner, and Ragan Smith.
Here at Aviator Sports and Events Center, we couldn’t be pulling harder for Team USA to defend their Olympic medal. We will be behind these young ladies every step of the way as they compete in what will likely be the most viewed event of their respective careers. We also have our own group of gymnasts, who train and learn from our wonderful and experienced coaches in our complete and comprehensive training center. To find out more about what we offer, or to begin your own journey into the wonderful world of gymnastics, visit our website at https://www.aviatorsports.com/sports/gymnastics/ .
Go Team USA, and let their efforts be an encouragement to all future gymnasts.